Friday, January 30, 2009

Introduction to my shop.

We'll start with my crowded little shop. It's in a spare bedroom. I took up the carpet and put down a plastic engineered floor which makes it very easy to sweep up the shavings and dust.

My first "shop" was the basement of our house in Michigan. I don't have a picture of that, but it was pretty typical for a basement workshop. Lot's of room, not much glamor.

My second shop was in a two-bedroom apartment I rented when we moved to our current location. My wife stayed behind for some months and so I brought my tools and workbench and set up shop.




My current shop is the aforesaid bedroom.




My meager supply of tools didn't make much of a dent in the room when I first moved in.




But I got them set up and it is pretty cozy. Here's when it was new and neat:










My solid-core door and construction lumber workbench




Here it is today:







I also have a "step-in" (not as big as a walk-in) closet where I store my clamps, and some true walk-in attic space that's mainly filled up with house-hold stuff, but there's some room for seasoning wood.

Well, that's about it. I make do and get a lot done. It's climate controlled, which makes up for a great deal. I'd rather have a climate-controlled small workshop than a massive one that alternates from freezing in the winter to boiling in the summer. But that's me.

The only power tools in my workshop are the lights and a CD/Radio I use to listen to Jane Austin books on tape while I woodwork. I'm weird that way.

Next I'll start a quick review of some recent projects, then I'll start on my current project, a Roubo-style workbench based on Chris Schwarz's version.

AAAndrew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this is my blog, for my purposes, if you comment on here, I reserve the right to delete whatever I feel like. But I'm pretty friendly.