Thursday, February 12, 2009

Random Thought - Bed construction

I periodically think about adding a bed to my list of "things to build once I finish my bench" but I've never really like those giant bed bolts, and I'm not sure why.

I had a thought the other day about how to possibly make a bed that's still knock-down without using bed bolts. I wonder if you could fix the tenons from the long stretchers using the brass hinge bolts I used for my bench.

You would construct the headboard and footboard with pinned mortise and tenons so they're fixed. Then make the long m & t joints for the side stretchers and pin them with the brass hinge bolts. I wonder how that would stand up to use? I suspect if your tenon is long enough, the hinge bolt would be enough support to keep it from pulling out.

It's a though, a random thought.

AAAndrew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this is my blog, for my purposes, if you comment on here, I reserve the right to delete whatever I feel like. But I'm pretty friendly.